Following archaeological researchers in the area could be uncovered much of the city and was drafted developments. According to historical sources, it seems that Roman fortress that was the seat of military units, was built in a settlement area Daco – getics, who took the name: Dinogeţia.
The fortress was rebuilt in the period domination was formed such a trapezoidal enclosure with 14 towers and a main gate and two side closing an area of 1.2 hectares.
Destroyed and abandoned in the late sixth century, following the attacks Avar – Slav, the city resumed its defensive function for two centuries, the time of Ioannes Tzimiskes (after the year 971). In that period, it was repaired inside and stood some buildings and houses, among which the most important are churches in the city, which operated in the centuries XI – XII.
The settlement enjoyed a natural position dominant, visible to the left bank of the Beard Galati to Aliobrix and being surrounded by water (brooks and ponds on the Danube they form the right elbow in front of Galati) features and advantage of natural defense.
The ruins have been reported since the first half of the nineteenth century and the first systematic archaeological excavations began in 1939 at the initiative of the National Museum of Antiquities, and continues today.
The city exists in the late sixth century kept the enclosure wall, thicker than 3 meters, guarded by 14 towers, and inside the ruins of a basilica, the roads, and agricultural tools and household indicating military role city.
Dinogeţia way to the city is accessible to any type of car and is made out of Garvan village, town Jijila.