Not far from the town of Macin, another tourist attraction draws visitors’ attention: Troesmis city.
Troesmis in the north – western region, on the shores of the Danube Macin arm at a distance of 3 kilometers from the town Turcoaia, was built by the Romans on the site of a fortress ture.
Troesmis was throughout the ancient period, an important strategic point, the earliest mention of his being Ponticele Ovid. Later, this town was mentioned by Ptolemy as a legion camp of Macedonia.
Around 100 AD, the city became a military center Troesmis novel, thus developing a civil settlement where they established craftsmen and merchants.
During domination (which started after the end of the crisis in 235-284 and lasted until the siege of Constantinople and the collapse of the Eastern Roman Empire from 1453), the site of the ancient city was built on a new defensive system composed of two fortifications smaller .
Rebuilt during the reign Iustinan, Troesmis lost city urban function in the first half of VII century.
The area began to be inhabited again in the centuries X – XI, a fact mentioned in the documents and confirmed by archaeological discoveries.
The ruins were investigated over their entire surface, but were brought out three waves of defense, channel, two aqueducts, horseshoe-shaped towers at the corners, two Christian basilicas and walls of several buildings. Troesmis first archaeological site were conducted in 1860, 1865 to 1868, when Emperor Napoleon III sent in Dobrogea, to this end, a French archaeological mission.
Access to the city Troesmis on the road can be derived from road Tulcea – Macin (DN22D).